- Attewell, P., Lavin, D., Domina, T., & Levey, T. (2006). New evidence on college remediation. Journal of Higher Education, 77(6), 886-924.
- Bahr, P. (2012). Deconstructing remediation in community colleges: Exploring associations between course-taking patterns, course outcomes, and attrition from the remedial math and remedial writing sequences. Research in Higher Education, 53(6), 661-693.
- Bailey, T., Jeong, D., & Cho, S. (2010). Referral, enrollment, and completion in developmental education sequences in community colleges. Economics of Education Review, 29(2), 255-270.
- Bettinger, E., & Long, B. (2005). Remediation at the community college: Student participation and outcomes. New Directions for Community Colleges, 129, 17-26.
- Boyer, P., Butner, B., & Smith, D. (2007). A portrait of remedial instruction: Faculty workload and assessment techniques. Higher Education, 54(4), 605-613.
- Boylan, H. (1983). Developmental instruction: What really makes a difference? Research in Developmental Education, 1(2), 1-6.
- Boylan, H. (1995). Making the case for developmental education. Research in Developmental Education, 12(2), 1-4.
- Boylan, H. (1995). The scope of developmental education: Some basic information on the field. Research in Developmental Education, 12(4), 1-4.
- Boylan, H. (1996). Reading the literature in the field: Some advice for the developmental educator. Research in Developmental Education, 12(5), 1-4.
- Boylan, H. (1997). Criteria for program evaluation in developmental education. Research in Developmental Education, 14(1), 1-4.
- Boylan, H. (2004). Accelerating developmental education: The case for collaboration. Inquiry, 9(1), 1-5.
- Boylan, H. (2009). Targeted intervention for developmental education students (T.I.D.E.S.). Journal of Developmental Education, 32(3), 14-23.
- Boylan, H., Saxon, D. P., White, J. R., & Erwin, A. (1994). Retaining minority students through developmental education. Research in Developmental Education, 11(3), 1-4.
- Cafarella, B. (2013). Exploring best practices in developmental math. Research & Teaching in Developmental Education, 30(2), 35-64.
- Collins, M. (2010). Bridging the evidence gap in developmental education. Journal of Developmental Education, 34(1), 2-4.
- Agee, K. S., & Hodges, R. (2012). Handbook for training peer tutors & mentors
- Boylan, H. R. (2002). What works: Research-based best practices in developmental education
- Boylan, H. R., & Bonham, B. S. (2014). Developmental education: Readings on its past, present, and future
- Boylan, H. R., & Saxon, D. P. (2012). Attaining excellence in developmental education: Research-based recommendations for administrators
- Higbee, J. L. (2014). The profession and practice of learning assistance and developmental education: Essays in memory of Dr. Martha Maxwell
- Higbee, J. L., & Dwinell, P. L. (1999). The expanding role of developmental education
- Other essential readings (list compiled by CLADEA)
REPORTS & WHITE PAPERS
- Adams, W., Franklin, D., & Gulick, D. (2012). Remediation: Higher education’s bridge to nowhere
- Bailey, T. (2009). College and opportunity: Rethinking the role and function of developmental education in community college
- Bailey, T., Jaggars, S., & Scott-Clayton- J. (2013). Characterizing the effectiveness of developmental education: A response to recent criticism
- Bickerstaff, S. (2012). “I came in unsure of everything”: Community college students’ shifts in confidence
- Casazza, M. E., & Silverman, S. L. (2013). Meaningful access and support: The path to college completion
- Holschuh, J. P., & Paulson, E. J. (2013). The terrain of college developmental reading
- Norton, J., & Agee, K. S. (2014). Assessment of learning assistance programs: Supporting professionals in the field